Sunday 16 May 2010

Thrift and Thread on the road


My exhibition continues to tour. This is how it was set up at Stanhope. You can see even dogs have been visiting ! This coming weekend ( 21st - 23rd May) it will be in Greenhead. I am hoping friends from Newcastle will make this venue as it is a lovely drive out along the Military Rd following the line of Hadrian's Wall. I will be there on both the Friday and Saturday.Visitor numbers have been high, comments very favourable and it has been fun meeting children from local schools on Fridays and teaching them how to sew on a button.


One of the lovely things about this tour is that I have heard many stories about domestic textiles and family history. We have been capturing some of these stories at Barnard Castle this weekend through a tape recorder kindly lent by Radio Teesdale. You can hear me talking about my work on this link if you are quick.
http://www.canstream.co.uk/radioteesdale/index.php?id=637

The other bonus has been that many people have brought me bits and pieces to use in my work. This quilt was given to me by a lady in Stanhope. It is very worn but I really like the extra border fabric that has been added.


At Barnard Castle yesterday I was given the top half of a 1960s wedding dress. I have already got an idea of how I could use this. Thank you Fiona!


The same lady gave me a bag of bits including some nice lace and "useless" ( her words) lace bobbins.

No comments:

Post a Comment